Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Top Ten Albums Of The Decade... 2008 Vampire Weekend


They are preppy, they are music teachers, they are the New Yorkers who make up Vampire Weekend. The name has nothing to do with anything "Twilight" related. It is however, derived from an indie flick made by the lead singer Ezra Koening back in his Columbia University days. The members of VW may look like they make up an add for Tommy Hilfiger, but there is more than just a slick surface. Vampire Weekend's music is intelligent, catchy, classical, and infused with some slick Afro-Pop beats.

I have to admit my wife was the one who got me into these guys. She always has a knack for finding cool indie tunes. We fell in love with Vampire Weekend before the buzz was in full effect. A year before the album was released they had a handful of singles floating thru cyberspace and the video for Mansard Roof quickly caught our attention.

The video was cool... it looked nautical, it looked European, it didn't look anything American.

My wife and I have never seen Vampire Weekend live, but they are definitely on our list to go see.

Campus is a song that takes us back to a time when we first met at Valley Forge Christian College.

"Then I see you
You're walking cross the campus
Cruel professor
Studying romances
How am I supposed to pretend
I never want to see you again?
How am I supposed to pretend
I never want to see you again?"

Our college romance was a little controversial to say the least, but that story is saved for another day, another blog.

Vampire Weekend may be the band that people love to hate because they're from New York and because of all the buzz, but to us they are a brilliant band that takes us back to when we first fell in love.

Here is the Mansard Roof video in all it's Nautical glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment