Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Christians

"Fear never wrote a symphony or poem, negotiated a peace treaty, or cured a disease...
Faith did that." - Max Lucado


The Landmark for Peace Monument stands in Indianapolis commemorating two brave men in American history, Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr., both are dead but both live on.

I have been having the same conversation lately about faith and about making a difference.
It is interesting how those two concepts go together.

Those two concepts resonate deep within me.

I have always loved Bobby Kennedy (maybe its a younger brother thing) but he seemed to be a man who stood by his principles. A politician who actually stood for something, an idea,
not an agenda.

On the flip side Martin Luther King, was a man that I found to be fascinating.
I do not think I could have the courage to be peaceful like him.

I have always been the type of person to want to "hit back,"

I will never fully understand what MLK went through...
To never sit where you want to.
To never drink where you want to.
To never be who you want to be.

But I have been lied to.
I have been manipulated.
I have been hurt.

Although our wounds are different they are still wounds that hurt.

We all want to be healed.

Martin Luther King Jr said,

"Non-violence is a powerful and just weapon. It is a weapon unique in history which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals."

I am child who has benefited from men who did't look at things the way they are, and ask why... but of men who dream of things that never were, and ask why not?
(paraphrase from Bobby Kennedy)

What if these men never had the faith to believe in a better world?




Being a pastor and working in the Church,
I feel as though we who take his name Christ are anything but peaceful.

I almost feel that the Church or Christians or whatever you want to call us are the ones with a sword, not for peace, but as someone with a sword looking for a fight.

I do not think sin is something you fight.
I think sin is something you try and heal.

The definition of sin is "to miss the mark."

The tools, our words, that we use are sharp.
With a stroke and precision a surgeon can cut out cancer, but
with a stroke and carelessness they can cause someone to hemorrhage.

Jesus has interesting name for those who are the children of God.

"Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God." (Matthew 5.9 NIV)

We have seen the statistics on Christians today, peacemakers is not on the tip of America's tongue to describe those who are called Christians.

I like how the Message Bible paraphrases this passage from Matthew.

"You're blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That's when you discover who you really are, and your place in God's family."

You may call me a Christian Apologist.
Just don't call me Screech jk jk.

I am less concerned what other Christians call Christians.
I am little more concerned what Unchristians call Christians.

I AM concerned about what Christ calls Christians.

I want to be a Christian who stands for something, an idea, not an agenda.

I pray that we will be brave enough to be peaceful and
dream of a better world where we show people
how to cooperate instead of fight.

Why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment