Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Advent: Peace

Give it a chance.








Why is something so simple so hard?

I like to consider myself a peaceful guy.
I try to see things from the other persons perspective.
I want to be cool under pressure.

Sometimes I am not.

I am a Christian and I have a hard time loving other Christians.

The judgmental.
The legalistic.
The intolerant.

That's not who I am, that's not what I read in the bible what a Christian is known by.

I was recently at a Starbucks, they know I am a pastor, and saw a sign that said that they are open on Christmas Eve.

I said oh, you guys are open Christmas Eve?

The manager went on to say that it's not a holiday (which it is not Christmas is, but I did have to work on Christmas Eve when I was youth pastor) and she said there are other religions that don't celebrate Christmas.

There was almost a sense that she was anticipating me saying something about how they should be off, how it's a Christian holiday. (I bet she was looking for my "I don't say Happy Holidays I say Merry Christmas button).

There was tension in the conversation, I wish there wasn't. Actually, I was kind of glad they were open, nothing like a holiday or Xmas (maybe I shouldn't say that either) Sbux run.

The next day I saw a newspaper with the Westboro Baptist Church on the cover.
Then I read anther article on the same page of a Christian family being investigated for not taking their two year old to the hospital who later died for lack of medical attention. They were believing in a faith healing. It didn't happen.

I was ticked.

I was sad.

I was frustrated.

Why do these "Christians" get the front page?
Why do not other Christians who give back and love their neighbor get press?

Upon my frustration I tweeted (because that's what we do now when we are ticked we tweet).

A friend sent me a message.

He challenged (mentioned me on twitter) me that those "Christians" need love too and will probably be in my church one day.

His words hit me.

Made me think (and that's a good thing).

And when I think I usually check out scripture.

“Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with each other.” Mark 9.50 NIV

Jesus wants me to love my enemies...

but also be at peace with Christians.

It's understood that we need to have grace and peace with those who do not believe, may we also remember to be peace with those who do believe as well.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment