Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Storms Sleep and Wet Feet


"Suddenly, a fierce storm struck the lake, with waves breaking into the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him up, shouting, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”

This passage from Matthew always fascinates me.

Why would the disciples freak out like this?

Why was Jesus sleeping?

This was not the first storm that came across the Sea of Galilee. Storms came often and without warning at times too. So this was not unusual for the disciples to face something like this. They probably faced storms like this before.

Sometimes it's the unexpected storms that scare us the most.

I remember having to mentally prepare myself when I would have to get a needle from my pediatrician when I was just a little guy. I would run around the nurses and the doctor saying... "I just need to relax! I just need to relax!" After all it was a big needle. Hey, after all this was a big storm. I have faced needles before, the disciples faced storms before...

Especially Peter, Andrew, James, and John- after all they made their living as fishermen.

Maybe Jesus was sleeping because he trusted his well seasoned fishermen/disciples.

Maybe Jesus has faith in us even when we don't have faith in ourselves.

The funny thing is that the disciples run a to Rabbi who does not have the training that they do in handling a storm on the open seas. Thats like going to a Dentist to fix your car when you need to go to a Mechanic. It doesn't make sense. The thing that I love about Jesus is that though we face storms and trials, even if we faced them before, he is still there for us. To bring us peace, to calm the seas, to ease our fears.

There are times when we have to face storms.
There will be times when we are afraid.

May we remember that Jesus has faith in us to handle the storm.

But isn't it good to know that Jesus is in our boat to back us up when we get freaked-out.

The disciples were amazed. “Who is this man?” they asked. “Even the winds and waves obey him!”

No comments:

Post a Comment