Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Girl, The Force, & The Car: 2 out of 3 Ain't Bad

Growing up I have always had a love for cars. I do not know if it is an Italian thing, a guy thing, or just a me thing.

Wherever I would go I would carry a small bag full of Matchbox and HotWheels cars.

I loved naming cars on the road and playing that game with my dad.

Cars capture my imagination.

When I was in my late teens early twenties there was one car, or should I say one commercial that left me spellbound.

The commercial was brilliant. The music told a story just as much as the images of a man or groom presumed to be late for his wedding.




Turns out he was late for a wedding but not his.

I do not know if I wanted to be the guy or wanted to drive that German automobile.

Even when I would cruise around in my little beaters (had a Dodge Horizon once in college, ouch) I always had an eye out for that particular VW and that brunette.

Well, turns out that commercial hit kind of close to home for me.

I got the girl...never really did get that silver Jetta.

Fast forward almost ten years.

Married to a brunette (even cuter than the one in the VW spot).
Still don't have a Jetta.

And another Volkswagen commercial captures my imagination... again.

It features a pint-size Darth Vader roaming the house using "The Force."




You never see the boys face under the mask, but I think that is the point.

Every time I watch this commercial I kept waiting for him to take off the mask and find my son's smiling face.

I want to be that Dad who comes home, arms wide open, waiting to see this son who he raised well on ways of The Force.

My son is only 12 months old. We haven't gotten to movies yet, but this commercial gives me a glimpse of what it might be like for Keane and I.

It's a clever spot with charm and wit by which the dad in one brilliant press of the button, not only starts the ignition, but starts a boys imagination.

Whether the ad men at VW intended this, but not only did they make a silver four door sedan seem cool, but a family of four as well.

I may never get that Volkswagen, but that's ok, I have someone just as cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment